At the Writing Studio, we strive to enhance the writing instruction that happens in academic classrooms by pairing writers with experienced readers, who engage in conversation about writing assignments, audience expectations, and academic genre conventions. Writing consultants focus on the rhetorical aspects of the text and provide one-on-one, student-centered teaching on works in progress.
The Georgia State Writing Studio supports a global community of learners navigating the academic rigor of GSU by encouraging writers—at any stage—to participate in generative conversations about composition. The primary goal of every Writing Studio conversation is to help writers acquire new approaches, strategies, and attitudes towards writing that goes beyond simple editing. Our tutors are committed to meeting learners where they are and empowering them to realize their academic and artistic potential.
Our Core Values:
- Approach writing and learning as a process and not a product
- Respect diverse ways of knowing and learning
- Operate from a student-centered framework
- Maintain a community in which novice and expert writers learn from each other
The Writing Studio is under the direction of Dr. Elizabeth Lopez, Prof. of English. Working with her are more than 40 doctoral and masters students from the English department who specialize in fields like rhetoric and composition, literary studies, and creative writing.
Graduate assistants tutor 5-10 hours per week and participate regularly in staff development and professional events. Many of our staff have completed coursework in composition theory and pedagogy, second language acquisition, and teaching methods, and have previous experience tutoring and teaching writing. To learn more about our tutors, please visit our "Meet the Staff" page.
Graduate assistants may also host classroom workshops (physically and virtually) on the writing process and peer workshops, conduct research on writing and teaching writing, and are active in professional writing center associations.
The Writing Studio at Georgia State provides free writing tutorials for various writing projects. Our services are available to all faculty, staff, and students.
Writing Studio Highlights:
- Serves a student population of over 53,000 with students from more than 150 different countries and every U.S. state
- Provides outreach services for our extensive community of enrolled students and alumni
- Employs 40 professional staff with academic writing experience
- Provides professionalization opportunities for English department graduate students who often serve as instructors for undergraduate writing courses